My First Track Day – part one

When I first thought of going to the Track on my bike, I did not realize how much effort it takes. Big thanks to my buddy who loaned us his truck for this week!

This is going to be a bit of a ramble since I just want to get it down.

Wednesday – The Day Before
After work, I packed up and Loaded the Truck with all the essentials.
I also took the mirrors off my bike, as well as disconnecting the Brake light and rear blinkers, and taped up the front side blinkers.
Then with the help of moroccanrose got the bike into the back of the truck.
We left a bit late, hoping that traffic would be lighter, I’m not sure what it was like earlier, but it was still heavy getting on to the Bay Bridge. We drove all the way to Willows where we had a hotel room, that was surprisingly comfy, at the Super 8.

Thursday- The Track Day.
We got up at 6am, and quickly packed up and left, grabing a bite to eat and Chai at the Starbucks just down the Road. Picked up new ice for the cooler, and then headed to the Track.
We got to the Track at just after 7am. Signed the waiver at the gate, and then snuck into the last of the shaded “pit” area. Which nicely was right next to the check in etc.
I unloaded the bike with the help of my next door “pit” mate Warren, and then got checked in and past the Tech inspection. The Riders meeting was at 8:20, where we learned about the Different Flags, and how the Day would go. Basically we had a session every hour on the half hour, since they were not many of us the split into 2 instead of the usual 3 groups. An A/B+ group and a B-/C group (me). The first group went out on the half hour.

First Session-
To say I was really nervous would almost be an understatement. 1st time at a track is pretty scary.
The Session Started with Following an Instructor along the “Race” line One instructor to 3 riders. Each of us took a turn following him around the track. YIKES! He’s going “slow” but for a track that you’ve only seen on paper with a few pictures it was pretty fast, and the First time over turn 5… (which is a blind turn over the crest of a hill) I .. well I was going SLOW.
After 3 laps around the Track following the Instructor he cut us loose if we wanted… I did not I opted to follow him around and then be followed by him the entire session. Which ended early since some one crashed. I ended up talking to my instructor a bit, before heading back to drink some water, and then head to the classroom session. Talked about turns 5 and 9 in the classroom, which are the two blind sections of the track, and how to use reference points to get through them.


About MotoCynic

I started riding motorcycles in 2006, and there is no going back. I've ridden more than 100,000 miles, most of it on a Ducati Monster, and despite setbacks and murderous BMW's I'm loving every mile.
This entry was posted in Motocycling, motorcycle, Motorcycles and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s